You‘re longing for a quiet destination to ease your mind? Visit Opatija and feel the harmony and the tranquility of the Adriatic sea!
Table of Contents
Elegant queen of the Adriatic
Opatija is located on the banks of the Adriatic sea and has become one of the most popular holiday accommodation destination in Central Europe with tourism tradition longer than 170 years. Thanks to its ideal climate and breathtaking sites it has been a home for some of the world’s most famous thinkers, painters, scholars, philosophers and artists. A sight of stunning architecture, diverse flowers, plants and trees in the gardens by the sea have become the reasons why Opatija is known as the queen of the Adriatic.
Long tradition and history
Opatija was built mainly at the turn of the 19th century and even today has remained in complete harmony with nature as it was originally conceived. Maintained gardens with over hundred different varieties of plants originating from all over the world (gardenias, camellias, roses, oleander, palm trees…), 12km long coastal promenade commonly known as Lungomare, well-kept beaches and first-class accommodation are the foundation of this elegant city. Located between the Učka mountain and the Adriatic Sea, Opatija has always been known for its pure air and health aerosols.
This and much more has always attracted the most popular icons of the world which wanted to improve their well-being, such as Croatian Ban Josip Jelačić, Vladimir Nabokov, James Joyce, princess Stephanie, Emperor Franz Joseph I, Emperor Franz Joseph Habsburg, Prussian Emperor Wilhelm II, etc. Visit Opatija and on its walkways and learn about the long history and tradition of the oldest tourist resort in whole Croatia. For example, the town centre still contains a great number of the 19th century buildings and architecture – Villa Angiolina and its park, St. Jacob Park, Margarita Park, Abbey of Saint James, and a must-see a symbol of Opatija -the well-known statue of the Maiden with the seagull.
The seaside resort of well-being, harmony and good life
Many Opatija hotels feature spa & wellness centres with indoor swimming pools with sea water, jacuzzi, saunas, massage salons, spa relax zone, fitness centres… Everything you need to relax with your loved ones or by yourself in Opatija’s best health and beauty centres with support and supervision of top medical specialists. So, if you’ve always looked for a holiday resort that will bring harmony and well-being to your life, definitely visit Opatija. This amazing town even has a Month of Wellness in March when all of the luxurious wellness offers are introduced to the guests. Relaxation, recreation and beauty care – the foundation of the healthy life is what you’ll find in Opatija.
Food and drinks in Opatija
Kvarner Bay supplies Opatija with the freshest seafood that turns into a delicious meal on your plate. Regional flavours are all about asparagus, chestnuts and cherries, commonly known as lovranske črešnje. Local bars and restaurants will offer you well-known wines from all over Croatia, but also extensive lists of international products. Whatever you choose in Opatija, you can’t go wrong because this place is a feast for all scents.
Business or pleasure, relaxing or active holiday, spring or autumn, sunrise or sunset – Opatija offers everything that tourists and travellers need. Opatija welcomes you, enjoy your stay!
Things to do in Opatija
- Peek into the Adamić – Local Books & Crafts where you’ll find unique gifts for your loved ones and even something for yourself to bring back home a piece of Opatija spirit
- Visit the restored Villa Angiolina that gives you the chance to view the interior of one of Opatija’s grandest structures – gilded mirrors, geometric floor mosaics, Corinthian capitals and much more
- Restore your energy on the fresh air on the forest paths around Opatija – this it is always a perfect way to escape from urban jungle and city hustle and bustle
- And while you’re there, visit the Museum of Tourism in Opatija where you’ll find a permanent collection of old photographs, postcards, brochures and posters. Discover how Opatija looked 100 years ago and how it developed!
- Surprise your senses in bakery and patisserie Kaokakao in Volosko whose delicacies are prepared from the finest Belgian chocolate, quality cream, fine home-grown spices and home-grown seasonal ingredients
- Sip a cocktail in Hemingway bar, a sleek bar ideal for after-beach parties and summer night gatherings under the stars with amazing views of the Rijeka skyline
- Walk along Slatina and see the Croatian Walk of Fame where you’ll find 32 stars with names of prominent Croatian athletes, scientists and artist – feel the Hollywood feel in Opatija