There are many reasons for spending a vacation on the island of Lošinj. The main reasons why you should pay a visit is because here you can find a calm, harmony. Come and fall in love with Lošinj!
Table of Contents
Lošinj – The Island of Vitality
Lošinj is a Croatian island in the northern Adriatic Sea, and it is placed in the magnificent Kvarner Gulf. The islands Cres and Lošinj are connected by a small bridge at the town of Osor.
Lošinj is a lovely tiny island, with around 2600 hours of sunshine a year. It is surrounded byes crystal-clear sea, but it also has charming fishing villages, great food, gorgeous climate, and best of all, uncrowded beaches. The island of Lošinj is known as the Island of Vitality. Locals said it was because of the fresh air mixed with sea salt and pine trees. We don’t know if it’s true, but we are sure that it is an exceptional place for a vacation, but due to its mild climate, Mali and Veli Lošinj are 1892 proclaim as climatic health resorts.
The island of Lošinj is a part of the Cres-Lošinj island group. The Lošinj group of islands includes, besides Lošinj, the islands of Unije, Ilovik, Susak and Vele Srakane as well as many smaller, uninhabited islands. Each of these islands has its own hidden beauty, so come and explore them!
The islands are great connected daily with tourist boats and regular connections from Lošinj, and Lošinj is well-connected to the mainland, by a ferry, hydrofoils and sports airplanes.
Find your escape from everyday life on Lošinj
Mali Lošinj is the largest place and fabulous harbor on the island. It is placed at the bottom of the large and well-protected bay. The beginnings of Mali Lošinj date back to the 12th century until its “Golden age” of Lošinj experienced in the 19th century when it became a true maritime city. Go for a walk in Mali Lošinj, pay a visit in the Lošinj Aromatic Garden, try out sipping chilled wine and swimming while the sun sets, there are plenty options what to do and see in Mali Lošinj.
In Mali Lošinj you will find various beaches, and we recommend you to go on beaches in the bay of Čikat. We are especially impressed by the well-decorated beach of Veli žal.
Veli Lošinj is settled in the southern part of the island of Lošinj, and it lies in the foothill of Saint Ivan. Today it is known as a remarkable tourist and aromatherapy center in Croatia. Despite the name (well in Croatian, veli means big and mali means small), Veli Lošinj is much smaller than Mali Lošinj. In the vicinity of Veli Lošinj, there is also a small but cute fishing port called Rovenska, which for years has got the attention with its precious beach, fishing atmosphere and the history of people who have devoted their whole life to the sea.
The art of delicacy on a plate
The fabulous Lošinj cuisine is full of flavors and fragrances of the Mediterranean features. As the main delight, there is the Kvarner scampi, which, according to many gastronomic critics, is the best in the world. Inexhaustible delicacies include fish, lamb, homemade pasta and olive oil and aromatic herbs that will be a real treat for the palate. Do not forget to make a toast for a holiday of the dream with a liqueur made from the local grass.
5 things to do on the island of Lošinj
- Go for a walk in the Lošinj Aromatic Garden! It is a small but very beautiful garden with lots of island herbs. Garden is beautifully planted and very decorated, full of butterflies and bees. It is a fascinating place and you can enter for free.
- Visit the Museum of Apoxymenos; it is a must see in Lošinj. It’s focused on a single exhibit, an ancient Greek statue discovered in Croatian sea about 20 years ago. The statue was under restoration in Zagreb for several years and looks nothing like what had been in the sea. The story of Apoxymenon is presented in a very innovative and approachable way that it can be interesting for everyone.
- All adventurers who love their vacation will be actively going on their own because the island of Lošinj extends the possibility of using the planned trails throughout the year. The trails are designed for cycling and hiking, are about 220 km long and stretch to as many as five islands.
- If you are a dolphins’ lover, try out a fantastic adventure and find out more about them. Dolphins are one of the attractions of the Lošinj island. Blue World Institute is involved in educating people about those intelligent animals and their ecosystem. The exhibition gives an insight into animals habit and explains how we should behave in order to preserve dolphins. The friendship between the dolphins and the island of Lošinj lasts for more than thirty years.
- Try hiking on Osorsčica – mountaineering trail. The mountaineering trail is ideal holiday for couples, families, group of friends or even if you are planning to go solo. This trail is one of the oldest in Croatia, opened for tourists around 1886 already. On the top, there are a small church and magnificent view. The view is amazing and breathtaking, especially after the wind Bura blown – when you can see the town of Zadar and all nearby islands!