Tradition and modernity, natural beauties, hospitable people – qualities that make a perfect location for your holiday. Choose Rab any time, every time!
Table of Contents
Find the secrets of the island of Rab
We can tell that Rab is the island of many contrasts. It is shaped from sharp rocks on the east coast and from gentle pebbly beaches, and on the other side it has 408 meters high peak that is covered with macchia and Mediterranean oak forests. It is known as a happy island and it can tell you its legends within a minute. It is an island of many idyllic sights and historical fishing villages which are waiting for you to discover their secrets. Come here to stay!
Meet the island of rich history and cultural heritage
This is the island of the rich and turbulent past that throughout its history has had many rulers and has changed various systems of ruling. First recordings tell that its first settlers were Illyrians, around 360 years BC. There is an old Roman document in which the Roman emperor Octavian Augustus proclaims Rab a muncipium – a city with a self-administration. At one point in history, it’s Latin name Arba (Arbia or Arbiana) got an epithet “felix”, Latin word for happy, and from there to now Rab is known as a happy island. Rab is well known by its antique town plan, its walls, churches, palaces, and portals, as well as by its villages abundant with old churches, monasteries and the remains of ancient fortifications and traditional houses.
Rich heritage stems from different historical periods. So, you can walk around near romanesque churches and towers from 12th century, such as the Cathedral of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary or the monastery complex of St. Bernardino of Siena in village Kampor from the 15th century. Visit St. Peter’s benedictine monastery from the 11th century in Supetarska Draga valley, or go to the preserved historic old town of Rab with its typical late Gothic and Renaissance details (such as nobles crests, windows, doors, portals and statues).
Meet the island of the natural beauties
Walk through the oldest native holm oak forests called Dundo, which is also a protected forest reserve that’s open for visitors and hikers. It offers you its trails for mountain biking or hiking, bays for bathing and soaking up the sun. It is an unique forest environment with rich flora and fauna where you’ll find various bird life, interesting plants, aromatic herbs, small animals, butterflies and reptiles.
Rab is known, for almost 125 years, by its 30 sandy beaches, scenic coves, crystal blue sea and hospitality. So choose between dog beaches, naturists beaches, solitary coves or even beaches for singles . Everything you ever wanted on the Paradise beach, Pudarica, Mel, Kandarola, Livačina, Ciganka and many more.
Visit Kamenjak, the highest and largest peak of Rab, with its 408 meters it is excellent location for panorama views of the whole islands. Take a picture, make a memory, meet the spirit of the natural beauties of Rab.
Try everything from Mediterranean cuisine
In this Adriatic region locals choose only natural foods and home-grown groceries, so Rab is an island of fish specialties and seafood, as well as lamb. We can say that the cuisine of this island is a basis of healthy and balanced food determined by long tradition. Try one of the Rab cheeses that can weight over two kilos or their traditional desserts such as poppy rolls, apple strudel and nut roll. Taste summer salad from local foods or from salted anchovies with tomatoes, try capri peppers and onion, try dry octopus with omelet or roasted grouper with local spices and aromatic herbs. After all, try the inevitable Rab cake, that is the most famous symbol of this island. It has unique flavor and is baked for more than 835 years. The original recipe is from 1117, when Benedictine nuns served it to the Pope Alexander II, on the occasion of the blessing of the Rab Cathedral of the Assumption of Mary.
Things to do on the island of Rab
- Try snorkeling and visit the underwater site with an old sunken ship from the WW II, or peak into the underwater caves and grottoes
- Walk around the Forest Park Komrčar in the town of Rab
- Visit the site of a memorial object – the Tree of Liberty on the Freedom Square in the town of Rab
- Walk the two paths of Premužić that were built around 1930 by an engineer Ante Premužić. First one will lead you from Lopar camp to the hamlet of Matići and the second one from Kampor, through the park-forest Dundov, all the way to the south coast of Kalifront and then all along the coast to Frkanj and bay of St. Euphemia.
- Visit one of the leading cultural events of the island of Rab – the Rab fjera, that takes place on the 25 to 27 July, every year. It is a traditional fiesta on which the streets of the town of Rab become a stage where medieval craftsman demonstrate old skills and crafts.
- Go on a kayak trip around the island and see all the natural beauties of Rab from another point of view
- Visit the tower of St. Christopher. According to the legend, the island was saved from attackers for several times by the Saint Christopher, so eventually he became its patron.
- And after all, if you really want to feel the true spirit of this island, book accommodation in the off-season, outside the mass tourism, in June and September