Poreč is a perfect place for a holiday. Outstanding nature, rich culture, numerous attractions… don’t wait too long for your dream holiday.
Table of Contents
Charming little gem of Istria
Poreč is the enchanting coastal city in Croatia situated on the western coast of the Istrian peninsula. Its climate is extremely mild and free of oppressive summer heat. You can pay a visit in Poreč City every time in the year. Its location is awesome so you can easily reach Opatija, Rijeka or the island of Krk.
Explore lovely Poreč city
The Old Town preserved the street layout of the ancient Roman castrum. The main streets Dekumanus and Cardo Maximus still preserved its original ancient form. You really need to see the Church of Our Lady of the Angels. It is located in the Old Town and built between 1747 and 1770. The church is small and quiet, it has an impressive wall and ceiling art.
In the Decumanus Street, you can also find the Roman Ruins. You can enter freely, and it is very easy to find and access. Simple to see, but extraordinary when you think about these stones being here for 2000 years. This precious place is placed on the cape near a beautiful villa with a wonderful sea view.
At the end of Decumanus Street, you will stumble on the lovely little Marafor Square. Great place to sit and watch the people and the world go by. With a few restaurants and bars, this is the beating heart of the Old Town of Poreč.
Near Marafor Square by the Decumanus Street, there is the Romanesque House. The 13th-century residential house, beautifully preserved with a wooden balcony and mullioned windows. It represents one of the most rear preserved architecture of the Romanesque periods.
You really can’t go to Poreč and not visit the Euphrasius Basilica. Basilica has well-preserved ancient mosaics and architectural details. It shows us how this church that dates back to the fifth century evolved with time. From the bell tower, there is a magnificent view worth climbing because you can see whole charming little Poreč city.
Relaxing and recharging
Poreč is a perfect place for a rest. Pebbly beaches, crystal clear sea, great weather, peace, and quiet will give you a pleasure of a holiday in this small town.
The Beach Brulo is settled in a beautiful cove, and it’s surrounded by pine trees which make a needed shade in the summer. Crystal clear sea, rich facilities for all ages make this beach a perfect choice for a recess.
On the northern side of Poreč lies the beach Borik from which you can have a beautiful view of the Old Town core. The beach has plenty stuff for kids fun and relaxation. You can rent a deck chair and lie under a sunshade, listen to the sound of the sea while you are cooled by a gentle breeze. While kids play the tennis, ping-pong, beach volleyball or mini golf.
Leisure and fun in Poreč
Do not miss Jazz in Lap; it is the Jazz & Blues Festival placed in the Poreč Heritage Museum. Every Wednesday you can hear refreshing jazz and Blue notes; it is a perfect recipe for a delightful summer night. Giostra is the Poreč historical festival that gathers more than 250 participants in costumes; who evoke for the life in the Baroque period. The festival lasts for three days, and its main event is a knight tournament Giostra, reconstructed from the rules of a tournament held in Poreč in the year 1745. July and August in Poreč are booked for concerts season at Euphrasius Basilica. The Euphrasian Basilica because of her integrity appears to be the perfect place for top performances of the greatest works of classical music in history.
Things to do in Poreč
- Go on an extraordinary adventure in a kayak along the marvelous area of Lim Bay. Lim is a partially submerged river valley, which makes it an excellent place for kayaking. Don’t forget to bring your towel, sun lotion, camera, cap, and a beverage.
- We recommend that you see the astonishing Baredine Cave. Its total depth is 132 m and temperatures in the cave vary between 7° C and 14° C. The guided Tour lasts about 45 minutes and at the end, you can see a rare animal, a human fish – Proteus anguinus.
- Visit the Aquarium and explore his rich sea world. This lovely little aquarium is awesome. It has colorful fishes, lizards, snakes and much more. It is clean, and a fee doesn’t cost much.
- If you like water slides then, the water park Aquacolors will be a perfect place for spending your day on vacation. Colorful and awesome water slides will make you laugh and put a smile on your face. Its great place for kids and the big ones too. You should definitely put it on the itinerary.
- Visit magnificent Medulin – once a fishing village, today a modern tourist resort. Its unique sandy kilometer long beach Bijeca especially attracts families with children. Nearby is the fishing village of Premantura and the protected area of Cape Kamenjak, the southernmost point of Istria, a place where you become part of nature.