In Šibenik, there is something for everyone. Lots of fun and many adventures await you if you decide to visit beautiful Šibenik.
Table of Contents
Reveal the beauty of Šibenik
Šibenik is one of the oldest Croatian cities on the Adriatic sea. Šibenik is also one of the largest cities in the Dalmatia region. Total city population of Šibenik is around 46 000 citizens so it isn’t crowded. It is located on the coast with many charming islands in its yard.
Because of its location, the pleasant Mediterranean climate prevails. This means – mild winters and hot summers perfect for an enjoyable vacation full of sunshine and swimming! But not only that, the air around the Mediterranean Sea is fresh and light, it actually helps people with respiratory issues.
The whole city is robust with lots of fortifications, forts and fortresses. The most famous place is Fortress of Saint Mihovil. When you climb up, you can enjoy a beautiful view of the sea and the nearby islands.
Šibenik and the area around contain 24 churches. Most popular of them is the church of Saint Ivan that you should definitely visit when in Šibenik!
Treat your buds with delicious Mediterranean food
Šibenik has many restaurants to choose from and you can basically eat anything you like. But Mediterranean kitchen prevails and you should definitely go with Mediterranean when in Šibenik!
There is lots of fish on the menu and other special meals with seafood that comes directly from the Adriatic. But if you don’t enjoy fish, don’t worry because many places also offer pizza, hamburgers, čevaps (minced meat, similar to burger meat) and other worldwide popular meals.
Fun activities For nature-lovers, diving enthusiasts and adrenaline-seekers
Have fun walking or cycling through the wilderness. Many cycling trails will lead you through an unusual nature of Šibenik. If you are not into sweating, then you can get on a horse in many horse riding centers of Šibenik.
You can also rent a boat and visit some extraordinary places by boat. If you don’t have a license for sailing then you can join charters or sailing club. You can even get a kayak and use your muscles while checking out National Parks.
Bungee jumping from the 40-meters high Šibenik bridge is for the bravest who seek additional spikes in adrenaline. For those who prefer to go underwater, there is a diving club Vertigo, Deep Sea and Mediterraneo Sub where you can get your equipment and join them on their diving adventures.
Nearby adventures are awaiting
If you love nature and adventures, then you should visit Krka National Park by traveling only 18 kilometers to the west of Šibenik. National Park Krka was named by the Krka river, an invaluable gift of nature which flows through the middle of Dalmatia.
Rich flora and fauna are one of the main reasons why people visit National Park Krka. Over 800 different species and subspecies have been found in this area.
If you seek a unique nature experience, then you should travel to the mesmerizing Kornati archipelago. National Park Kornati contains 140 islands and it has the densest archipelago in the Mediterranean Sea!
National Park Kornati also has distinct flora and fauna that you’ll love. In this area, you can see some of the rarest animals such as lizards, snakes, amphibians, rodents and sea gulls. But if you are not a fan of these animals, don’t let that stop you from seeing this beautiful place we could call heaven on Earth.
You can get to the National Park Kornati by your own rented boat or with one of many tourist agencies that organize Kornati tours on a daily basis.
Things to do in Šibenik
- Visit the harbor – Every street in Šibenik can take you to it. In the harbor, you can enjoy checking out the boats, sailboats and other attractive yachts and take a walk along the sea.
- Visit central square – the central square is not big, but it will show you why they say Šibenik is one of the oldest cities on the Adriatic sea.
- Šibenik cathedral – If you are religious, you can get some rest and enrich your holy spirit by visiting this ancient and unique cathedral.
- Fortifications with Ancient Canons – Šibenik is an old city that needed to defend itself throughout history. Defense was done by building strong fortresses and forts with cannons. You can still see some of the cannons as the reminder of that ancient time!
- Šibenik city guard – If you are lucky, you will see them marching through the city or just standing as a defensive army in one of many forts. You can see their ancient uniforms and weapons.