Tradition and modernity, natural beauties, hardworking and hospitable people – qualities that you need for a perfect holiday on the island of Krk.
Looking for the treasure of the island of Krk
The island of Krk is known as the golden island since the ancient times thanks to its natural characteristics. It is a natural treasure of the Kvarner bay and the most northern island on the Mediterranean. So, if you dream about a sunny and peaceful family vacation resort, dog-friendly beaches or entertaining location for you and your friends – Krk is definitely a place to be!
Tradition and legacy of the island
People of Krk have learned to live in harmony with the rules of this unpredictable island and its climate. They learned how to live according to the nature and flora & fauna of this golden island. Bura, jugo and maestral winds are making troubles or giving a bit of the refreshment on a sunny day. The sun on your skin, tiny pebbles under your toes, fresh breeze in your hair, dear friends, a homemade wine known as Vrbnička Žlahtina and local delicacies such as šurlice with lamb goulash – everything is in front of you thanks to the Croatian coast and its hardworking people. So, relax, take a deep breath and let yourself go to the Krk state of mind and its legacy.
Locals are living the traditional way of life connected to the sea, agriculture and livestock farming in combination with the modern activities. So, on this island, you’ll find a fisherman whose daily job is to manage a restaurant or a teacher whose avocation is to build ships and breed sheep.
A touch of history on the streets of Krk
Krk is abundant with natural beauties. From the Biserujka cave located in the northeast part of the island to the picturesque islet Košljun or the city of Krk with its two thousand years old city walls, Frankopan castle from 13th century and old City Hall from 16th century. Every step you take is a step into the history. So, if you decide to visit the city of Omišalj that is perched on the cliff above the sea, you’ll find out that its cultural heritage is dating from the 3rd century.
We recommend you to visit the remains of the early catholic basilica and the remains of the Roman municipality Fulfinum in the Sepen bay, 2 km from Omišalj, in the Mirina area. On this island, you’ll find the early Roman Church of St. Lucy in Jurandvor with the Baška tablet found in its chambers. It is written in the Glagolitic alphabet created by the stylization of Greek cursive in the middle of the 9th century and it was once the proof of the donation of land from the king Zvonimir to the Benedictine monastery of St. Lucy.
Sports and entertainment
Krk offers you all types of summer recreations but the most interesting ones are water sports – paragliding, scuba diving, waterskiing or sailing. If you’re fond of walking, you’ll definitely like the walking trails that are located all over the island – that is where you’ll truly find out in what lays the secret of the island’s beauty. Adrenaline junkies can get their satisfaction at the 650m-long cableway for wakeboarding and waterskiing in the wake park of the town of Krk.
Make a wish and fall in love
You could easily fall in love with this island if you just visit one of the local festivities, such as Lovrečeva or fisherman nights in local villages. For the outgoing people and the ones who seek an adventure on the dance floor, we will recommend Boa club in Malinska, club Casa Del Padrone and Volsonis in Krk city.
This is an island of culture and entertainment that offers you its tradition of dedication and hard work, combined and justified with a long history and modernity. Trust it and the pleasure is always yours.
Things to do on the island of Krk
- If you decide to visit Krk in summer, be sure to visit a beach with healing mud that can be found on the west side of the Klimno bay. Have fun on the beach, energise your body, play picigin (sports game played by several players in a circle whose goal is to keep the ball circling in air and out of the sea for long as possible) and find out why is this mud known as the one that cures the arthritis
- The island of Krk, more precisely the Baška bay, is a home to the unique plant “Barbašova lazarkinja” (Aspreula Borbasiana) that is also an endemic species
- Visit the Vitezić family library or go on a fine dines in taverns in Vrbnik where you’ll find the most famous wine from Krk – Vrbnička žlahtina. And most of all go for a meal, walk up the stairs, relax in the garden and take a bottle of wine (or two) from the Ivan Katunar House of Wine
- Peek into the Church of St. Trinity that is located in the historic centre and pedestrian area of Baška and hear a festival of bells
- Visit Franciscan monasteries – the one on the island of Košljun, located 90m from Punat and the one in Glavotok – they are well-known monasteries due to the significant archaeological findings from which some date from around 8th century
- You should also try to drive an off-road quad from Off-road Quad Safari Krk Malinska. While having an active vacation you’ll have an opportunity to see the Krk roads and nature from a different perspective
- Visit the House of Krk’s prosciutto, where you’ll learn every detail about this amazing delicacy while tasting a variety of dishes, based on the recipes that were used even in Roman times
- And finally, we recommend you to visit the International Festival “Sand & Time Krk Summer” – the exhibit of sand sculptures with laser and light show in the town of Krk
Featured photo by sanfamedia.com / CC BY-ND